Order by
Category / Structures

Fluorescent & LED Lightbulbs

A lightbulb


#LED Lightbulbs #Lightbulbs #Sustainable Building Materials #Sustainable Home


Valencia Meredith

The incandescent bulb, the standard light bulb, expends copious amounts of energy to produce light. An incandescent bulb consumes 60 kilowatts per hour generating electricity to heat the filament or inner wiring of the bulb. The heating of the filament triggers the bulb to turn incandescent, providing light. According to Penn State Center for Nanoscale Science, 90% of the incandescent energy usage is toward the heating of the filament.

Expelling 90% of its energy on heat and the remaining 10% on light, the mass use of electricity results in quicker burnout, providing the average incandescent a lifespan of only 750 hours. Compact Fluorescent Lightbulbs (CFL) and Light Emitting Diodes (LED) are eco-friendly alternatives that are gaining traction for their energy efficiency. These energy savers consume less than 15 kilowatts of electricity, saving 75% more energy compared to the standard incandescent, and last up to 30 times longer. To learn more about CLF and LED bulbs as well as other alternatives for efficient lighting, check out the article “4 Tips for Choosing Eco-Friendly Lighting.”

  • Action
  • Definition